Code Project

Link Unit

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Update on gridview produces ORA-01036: illegal variable name/number

While using SQLdatasource to access and update an Oracle table using UpdateCommand , error ORA-01036 occurs if we by mistake use @ in parameter name ,some missing parameter or missing providername.

Solution :

  1. For update statement to work in case of Oracle all the parameters must be there and in exact order.
  2. ProviderName = "System.Data.OracleClient" in SQLDataSource
  3. : is to be used in place of @

I hope it help fellow programmers .

2 comments:

Justin W. Riggs said...

I've looked all over for a solution on this problem, and you sound like you actually know what you're talking about.

Do you have any code samples you could post? You could email them to me as well at juriggs@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance...

Justin

Matt said...

I have all of these and no luck. I've been dicking around with this for a week!